It isn’t easy to imagine that our last generation was mostly buying the things they need from a local retailer. They would do their grocery shopping from a few shops once a week and other high-value purchasing also from local stores. In today’s age, the Internet and ecommerce have brought a massive change in the way we look for products and buy them.
Ecommerce websites are being used more than ever. Consumers from different geographies and age groups are using ecommerce websites and apps for daily items as well as high price ticket items. From grocery to electronic appliances to apparel to beauty products to furniture to jewellery, consumers can find everything literally online.
In March 2018, Periscope by Mckinsey surveyed 2,500+ consumers in France, Germany, the UK, and the US to understand the forward movement in online consumer packaged goods (CPG) shopping. Once bought only from local stores, consumers are researching and purchasing CPG products online.
Ecommerce benefits not only the consumers but also manufacturers and suppliers. Here we mention why local retailers should shift their focus on ecommerce and how it will be more convenient and profitable for their business.
Ecommerce Benefits for the Consumer
- More selection: Retail websites have a massive supply versus a local store.
- Personal touch: If the site is unable to provide all the information one needs before purchasing, they can always get in touch with the customer service.
- Shipment tracking: Consumers do not have to wait for retailers to place and receive their orders. Also, they can track when the shipment arrives.
- 24/7 services: Consumers can place the order at any hour of the day. They do not have the visit a shop during its opening hours to get the product.
- Easy search: Consumers can type what they need, and the options will be shown to them. With voice and image search, searching for products has become easier than ever.
Ecommerce Benefits for Suppliers and Manufacturers
- Manufacturers do not need a salesperson to share information about a product with consumers.
- More brands are available to choose from, and all of them get the exposure they need.
- Retailers can anytime update or add items in their digital product catalogue. They do not have to print product catalogues from time to time.
- They can reach and cater to a broader audience.
Ecommerce is not just a trend. It has become a part of our lifestyle, and it is here to stay.